For those who want the lot! This two day course will show you how to reconstitute clay, make your own paste and use all three types of silver clay to create 2 - 3 pieces of jewellery, depending on size, design and the finish you want to achieve. You will practice using a variety of different texturing techniques including using the clay to make and add embellishments/detail.
This course is really about developing a knowledge of, and confidence with, the clay.
- An introduction to the tools and equipment and their uses
- How to best prepare, handle and store the clay
- Reconstitution for lump clay and paste
- Waste reduction
- Planning your jewellery making
- Making jewellery using lump clay
- Creating holes
- Forming, shaping, texturing and using the clay in each form for embellishments
- Drying and refining – plus a look at options available
- Firing techniques and the results they produce
- Polishing techniques
- Findings – plus a look at different approaches to finding attachment
- Hallmarking – legal parameters
All materials and tools will be provided along with plenty of tea/coffee and biscuits. The course includes 14g of lump clay, silver paste and silver syringe for embellishments. Should your design require more lump clay, this will be available to purchase, at cost, from the workshop. This is a two full day course so you will need to bring lunch with you. A speciality coffee and cake will also be provided to round off your lunch on the second day.
2 day Introduction to Silver Clay
17th - 18th April - 09.45 - 16.30 both days